Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

My GE fridg is freezing up .the heater aperrs good and has

Customer Question

My GE fridg is freezing up .the heater aperrs good and has been replaced recent.there is a sencor in the freezer and one in the fridg. is there a way to test them?or can you tell me witch is bad? mdl# ***** sear.# ***** *****
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

Those 2 sensors you're talking about have nothing to do with a defrost issue if the coils are frosting up. Those are just the temperature sensors for the refrigerator and freezer. Since you have a defrost issue, you'll need to either unplug the unit for 24 hours or remove everything of the freezer and remove the lower back panel inside the freezer to defrost it with a hair dryer. Once all the frost is thawed out, the unit will start working again. To make sure the problem doesn't come back, you'll want to replace the defrost heater. GE's defrost heaters fail often because they are nothing more than a long glass light bulb. They may test good when you check for resistance, but they can get moisture inside the glass bulb which can give a false reading. I would order and replace the defrost heater at the bottom of all the frost and you should be good to go. Below is a link to the defrost heater you'll want to order and replace.

Now I did want to point out that there are a few other possibilities like the control board or the defrost sensor, but these rarely fail on this model and there is no way to test the heater for certain to know if it's good or not. The reason is because that the heater is glass and can get water inside of it when it fails so it will show good continuity even when it's bad sometimes. That's why the best course of action is to replace the heater since it's by far the most common problem.

If you really wanted to test the the defrost sensor, look for the white plastic bullet clipped on at the top of the silver evaporator coils with 2 small wires going to it. You'd need to cut the wires going to the sensor and then put the sensor in ice water for 5 minutes. The resistance should be right around 16.3 kΩ. If not then the sensor would need to be replaced. I don't advise doing this test because you must cut the wires just to test it so I'd reserve this option in case the problem persists after you replace the heater.

And below is a link to the sensor just on the off chance you need it. I will say that as these units are getting older I am starting to see more of these sensors fail.

CLICK HERE for sensor

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.