Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Detergent dispenser doesn't open during wash cycle. I

Customer Question

detergent dispenser doesn't open during wash cycle. I removed it and scrubbed it although it did not appear to be crusty or dirty. should I try replacing the spring ? how do I tell if it is a timer or motor problem? model SHZ4AP06UCL/05
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

The spring wouldn't cause an issue unless it wasn't attached. I don't see the control board fail very often in this manner so without testing I would assume your dispenser has just failed. But if you have a jumper cord, you can take the dishwasher door apart, disconnect the wire connections going to the dispenser and connect 120 volts directly to the white solenoid on the back of the dispenser. If the lid opens, you know the control board is bad. if the lid doesn't open, you need a new dispenser. Below is a link to the dispenser.

CLICK HERE for dispenser

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?