Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have GE PS123NGMA fridge. The custom cool department is

Customer Question

I have GE PS123NGMA fridge. The custom cool department is freezing food as is the Fresh Food drawer. I hear a clicking sound when I try to change the select temp. Suspect it has something to do with damper door?
JA: Sometimes appliance issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Appliance Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: I have GE PS123NGMA fridge. The custom cool department is freezing food as is the Fresh Food drawer. I hear a clicking sound when I try to change the select temp. Suspect it has something to do with damper door?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Appliance Technician should know?
Customer: That should do it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your refrigerator today. So you are definitely on the right track. You do have a problem with the damper but it could be frozen or it could be stripped or just broken. Turn the refrigerator and freezer off and remove the custom cool drawer. Use a hair dryer and heat up the damper door flaps to the left where the customer cool drawer normally sits. Try again and if it's still freezing then you need to replace the damper assembly so below is a link to the part you'll need to order for your model.

CLICK HERE for damper assembly

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Tyler, I will try that out and get back to you. I get a little lost in the sign-in process so I am not sure if I paid $5 or not. Is 5$ the charge for solving the problem or is it something else.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have used you guys before and I thought the charge was $25 or something.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

The total charge should be $28. The $5 is just a good faith deposit to make sure you have a credit card and are intending to follow through and such, but the total is $28.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried the hair dryer thing. I didn't unplug the fridge because the plug is hard to get to. I opened door, removed custom cool drawer and hosed the left side of damper grill with hot hair dryer for about 3 minutes. Didn't seem to do anything. Damper still clicks. is there a way to inspect it to see if it is iced up?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

You can remove the entire side and remove the damper. Its quite a bit of work but below is a breakdown of the custom drawer unit. 924 is the damper you need to replace.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tyler. Not sure I follow. What do you mean by "remove the side?" Are there instructions on replacing the damper, assuming I might have to order one?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately not, but the cover panel and such on the left side must be removed in order to expose the damper assembly so you can replace it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still confused. You can't mean remove the side of the fridge. So I have to assume you mean remove side of the entire custom drawer unit, which means that has to be removed from the fridge. Right? So do I remove the the entire custom drawer unit from inside the fridge, or do I pull the fridge out, remove the back panel, and pull it out from the back?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

No, not remove the side of the fridge. I'm just saying you need to remove the drawer and then remove the entire custom drawer unit so you can access and replace the damper on the left side of the customer drawer assembly. There is no need to pull the refrigerator out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Before I go hog wild trying to remove custom drawer unit, do you know how it comes out? I don't see any obvious screws holding it in place.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, it's the same as exposing the fresh food evaporator which is quite a bit of work. Below is a link to some instructions on how to do this but it's fairly involved.

CLICK HERE for instructions

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tyler. Read through the instructions and it looks straightforward enough. Although it does say "(See Fresh Food Evaporator, follow steps 1 through 6.)" but there is no link. I tried searching the site and Google but do not see instructions on removing Fresh Food Evaporator. Do you have the link?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

It's just written poorly. The steps aren't listed 1-6, but they are the instructions below starting with removing the evaporator cover.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Silly question (as if the others weren't), but what/where is the fresh food evaporator. By the way... I have replaced/repaired about 25 percent of the parts on the fridge (will NEVER buy another), so I'm not a complete noob.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

That is the center plastic panel against the back wall with the vents. Unfortunately this has gone on for an hour and I don't mean to cut you off but I have holiday dinner I must attend so I wish you the best.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I will give it a go and get back to you later in week.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

ok good luck.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?