Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

LG fridge stop cooling fan and lights work

Customer Question

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

Is the freezer section still working? And do you have a model number located near the ceiling of the refrigerator section so I can better assist you?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
freezer not cooling LFC257655ST/00
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

OK if the refrigerator and the freezer are not cooling can you pull the refrigerator forward and remove the lower back access panel? Is the fan next to the big black round compressor running? And if you touch the compressor is it warm, blazing hot, or room temperature?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
fan running compressor room temp
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

OK so unfortunately you either have a bad compressor or a bad overload relay then. The overload relay are the plastic parts on the side of the compressor with all the wires going to it. You'd need to unplug the refrigerator and remove the overload relay. There are 3 prongs on the side of the compressor. With a multimeter, test resistance between any 2 pins. There are a total of 3 possible combinations. If you add up the 2 lower resistances they should equal the highest combination's resistance. If not, then you have a bad compressor. If you do, then test to see if any wires going to the overload relay have 110 volts going to them when you plug the refrigerator back in. If you have 110 volts, replace the overload relay. If you don't have 110 volts, replace the main control board on the back of the refrigerator because it has failed.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank You Tyler still working on it sorta
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

alright good luck.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Tyler, it turned out to be the evaporation coil , apparently 90% of the problems occur there.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

I'm not sure what you mean? The evaporator had a leak or it was packed with frost? Either way, that doesn't make sense with your conditions that you gave me because you said the compressor was room temperature which it wouldn't be with either of those issues. The compressor would still be running and would be quite warm if it was running.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
all the freon leaked out from the system but the compressor and fan kept running im told
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

OK that could be but the compressor wouldn't have been room temperature, it would have been warm because it would have been running.