Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

MODEL # KDFE104DWH1 Not draining completely.

Customer Question

MODEL # *****
Not draining completely.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.

Good afternoon! My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your dishwasher today.

Alright, so you need to uninstall your dishwasher and drain all the water out that you can manually. Remove the drain hose and blow through it to see if it's clear. If it's not, then you want to replace that drain hose that comes directly off the drain pump because there is a back flow preventer inside this hose that failed all the time stopping the dishwasher from draining very well or at all. You can try to stick a flat head screwdriver through that 90 degree angle to get the backflow preventer un-stuck if you wanted to try that as well. Sometimes that will get the flap working again.

If the drain hose checks good, then remove the drain pump and look for and debris that may be blocking the drain pump impeller. Put everything back together and re-install the dishwasher to try again. If the dishwasher still doesn't drain, then you'll want to check 120 volts with a multimeter to the drain pump when it should be draining. If you're not getting 120 volts to the drain pump then you need a new control board inside the door. Assuming you are getting 120 volts, your drain pump would just need to be ordered and replaced.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 6 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly I am not paid anything until you rate my service good using the STAR RATING LINK at the top of your page, the money is paid to the site not me directly.

Answer:

First check the siphon gap next to your sink faucet that is the most common issue and get clogged not to often is the blockage on the dishwasher. Check the siphon gap first that is where the drain line connects under the sink itself. You can take it apart form the top and check it to see if it is clear. That is that small dome object next to the sink. You can pull the line off from below and see if it drains in a bucket when CANCELLED...if so remove the top of the siphon gap and check for debri.

Appliance Guru

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am paid anything through the site.....tips are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.

If the siphon gas was clogged, blowing through the drain line would tell you that it's clogged. So if you just follow my instructions it will give you every possible solution.

Blowing through the drain would be a big mess as you would have to disconnect the line from under the unit, then you would have water all over your floor. I would suggest just removing the line at the siphon gap and putting it in a bucket to check to see if it drains, or just pop the top of the siphon gap off and check it fro debris. Here is a video for reference, about 2:35 secs into the video

CLICK HERE

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for your concern and stating to check the same thing a different way.

Checking the siphon gap is completely different than blowing through a drain line and is one of the first and easiest steps to always take when checking why the dishwasher may not be draining. Since the other tech did not mention the siphon gap at all in his answer nor referenced that in anyway I want you to make this job as easy as possible for you from the beginning rather than getting really wet and messy only to find an easy blockage in the siphon gap.

Appliance Guru

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.

The siphon gap is connected to the drain hose so when you blow through it, it's implied that you are checking the siphon gap---that is also assuming you even have one since not every installation has one and most times the drain hose goes directly to the disposal or the stand pipe with no air siphon gap.

Sir or Maam if you want to deal with me just let me know, Appliance Guru

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.

If you need anything else just let me know.

Here is a link from you installation manual showing this.

CLICK HERE

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.

And at the very top of that manual it even says the hose can be looped or connected to an air gap. Most are not connected to an air gap and again if it was my test would point you in that direction since it connects directly in line with the drain hose.

Tyler needs to finish with you that is clear, so sir have a Happy Memorial Day!