Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Fisher Paykel 2-drawer dishwasher. I will not tell

Customer Question

I have a Fisher Paykel 2-drawer dishwasher. I will not tell you all the problems with it as it would fill a book. We've had it professionally repaired MANY times but it is always temporary. We gave up using the bottom drawer years ago. Anyway, the biggest problem is that it gets hot and humid, the machine turns itself on a just grinds. We had to put in a separate kill switch to turn it off when this happens since no one can diagnose the problem. My brother, who is handy, just took the whole machine apart. He found that the powdered soap was baked onto all the filters so it wasn't draining right. He thinks my water temp may be too hot.
I don't know if the cause of other problems but for now I just need to get this think baked on crap removed and nothing is working! I tries citric acid, baking soda and vinegar, a bunch of commercial products like CLR, oxy clean, etc. no change. I an afraid to use muriatic acid because some of the parts are metal and some are plastic and I don't want to ruin anything.
Any suggestions to get the buildup off would be greatly appreciated!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.

Definitely do not use Muriatic acid. The only product that I have ever seen which works is a product call Dishwasher Magic which you can pick up at Lowes or order on line. If the baked on residue is removable, then Dishwasher Magic will remove it.

As for the reason the pump just starts turning on, that is because the small filter board under the bottom drawer in the back of your dishwasher thinks it's detecting water in your base pan below the bottom drawer. If there is no water, then replace this board because the humidity in your area is triggering the board when it shouldn't.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I've tried all of the commercial dishwasher cleaners. They don't work. I will have someone check the water pan in the bottom drawer but I've had several technicians out here and I would think they would have checked that. I was really looking for a solution to the baked-on soap. Thank you for the response.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.

If you haven't tried Dishwasher Magic, then that why it hasn't worked. If you have tried Dishwasher Magic, then nothing will work.