John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

We have a 2-4 year old Kitchen aid fridge. Model number

Customer Question

We have a 2-4 year old Kitchen aid fridge. Model number KSCS25FVWH01. IT is in a summer home and when we turned it on this year the ice maker is not working. I have checked the water input - it is fine and water dispenser working. And I checked that ice maker was turned on - even left switch in off position for a few minutes then turned it on again. Red light above the switch is flashing red - that can not be a good sign. I also checked the water filter - it is low but still has 30% left and not flashing to change.
We are in a remote location on Marthas Vineyard, so hoping there is something i can check/fix on my own. Any thoughts before I call service company?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

Good morning. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your refrigerator today. If you open the door first, look at the red light to the right, is it flashing 2 times and then pausing over and over? If you shut the flap on the left side and make a clear path from right to left, does the light turn solid?

OK, now look inside the icemaker itself, is there any ice or water in the icemaker mold? There are white fingers that push the ice out of the icemaker mold, what direction are they facing? Are they above the horizon or below? Pointing forward or backwards?