Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a GE Profile PGCCS1PJXA refrigerator and there is a

Customer Question

I have a GE Profile PGCCS1PJXA refrigerator and there is a recurring ice sheet that is building up in the bottom of the freezer portion.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: I've cleared the ice a few times but it fills back up within a day or so and eventually leaks onto our hardwood floor causing buckling of floor boards.
JA: Is there anything else the Appliance Technician should be aware of?
Customer: Not really. I've unplugged and looked behind the fridge but cannot locate the drain plug which I suspect is clogged
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.

Good morning! My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your refrigerator today. The ice sheet that builds up on the floor inside the freezer is due to the defrost drain line freezing over and overflowing. You'll need to pull everything out of the freezer, remove the drawers and then remove the back panel inside the freezer. That will expose the cooling evaporator coils with the drain trough below it. Thaw out the drain pan with a hair dryer and shoot hot water down the drain hole with a turkey baster until it's clear. The other option is to just unplug the unit for 24 hours and it'll thaw out on it's own. It's a poor design for a drain unfortunately so the drain line sometimes just freezes over.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 6 months ago.

Apologies, responded on the wrong window.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.

That's alright. Let me know if you need anything else.