Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

My Whirlpool side by side throws breaker whenever plugged

Customer Question

My Whirlpool side by side throws breaker whenever plugged in. Checked breaker and works with other appliances. Cord looks fine.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks!

The compressor is most likely to be causing the breaker to trip. Do you have a meter to test it for a short?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have an ohm meter
Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.

Excellent! Can you, with the refrigerator unplugged, remove the electrical start device from the compressor and test between the three pins to ground to see if there is a short?

Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

If you found the compressor shorted, it may be time to replace the refrigerator.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Please remember to rate before you leave, using the stars at the top of the page. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!