John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

My GE Profile side-by-side freezer is going through

Customer Question

My GE Profile side-by-side freezer is going through temperature fluctations that can range from 7 F to 34 F in the course of 1 day. Setpoint is -6 F. refrigerator side seems fine. Repair guy added more freon but did not help. Suggestions?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

Good morning! My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping with your refrigerator today. The first thing you'll need to do is pull everything out of the freezer and remove the lower back panel inside the freezer. Look at the silver evaporator coils behind this panel and are they packed with frost, lightly frosted from top to bottom, some frost on top but not on bottom, no frost at all, etc... ? Also, is the fan above the coils running?