Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I HAVE A SAMSUNG REFRIG MODEL RF262BEAEWW WATER FORMS UNDER

Customer Question

I HAVE A SAMSUNG REFRIG MODEL RF262BEAEWW
WATER FORMS UNDER THE COOL SELECT PANTRY DRAWER THEN
FREEZES TO ICE ABOUT A 1/4 INCH THICK WHERE IS THE WATER COMING FROM???
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.

Good morning! My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your refrigerator today.

This sounds like a very common issue with your refrigerator where your defrost drain line has either backed up and clogged, or possibly the evaporator isn't defrosting enough and the frost has built up enough causing the fan motor to stall and stop working. If you look at part number 18 in the diagram below, this is the part you need to remove so that you can see the silver evaporator and the drain trough below it. Pull all the drawers out and remove this panel. Now I want to say that removing this panel can be very difficult. You may need to use a hair dryer and thaw out the panel for 30 minutes or so because sometimes the ice will prevent it from pulling off. There are sometimes 2 screws at the bottom of this panel that you need to remove and then it's just clipped in all the way around so you must pry and pull. Once you have the panel off, pour hot water down the drain hole until it's draining properly again. Once it's draining properly blow compressed air down to make sure it's clear. If you don't have compressed air, use a turkey baster to make sure the drain line is clear and draining properly.

CLICK HERE for diagram

These units have an issue with the drain line getting clogged. Samsung came up with an aftermarket heat probe that extends down into the drain line from the defrost heater so that the drain line won't freeze over again. The drain probe is part number da61-06796a. Thawing out the ice will get the unit to work again without water accumulating, but without installing the heat probe clip the ice will just come back at some point.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.