Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a Whirlpool he top-loading washer that has been

Customer Question

I have a Whirlpool he top-loading washer that has been working fine all day...but just suddenly stopped draining. The "sensing" light is just flashing.
JA: Sometimes appliance issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Appliance Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: I tried changing the setting to drain and spin, turning the machine off and back on again...but it's still just full of water and flashing.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Appliance Technician should know?
Customer: The model number is *****
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

Good afternoon!.

So I just want to start by saying if I was in your house, I'd go through diagnostics and see what error code you're getting, but I've tried to explain how to do this to many people and for some reason they just can't get the sequence to work. So by far, the most likely thing that will cause this issue is your actuator failing or possibly your drain pump being clogged up. Both the drain pump and the actuator motor are located below the tub and if you're wondering, the actuator is the part that switches the shifter next to the motor. You'll want to first check the drain pump first which is below the tub. Just remove it and if you find nothing inside, re-install and move onto the actuator. If you find debris inside the pump, remove it and try the washer again.

To access the actuator you need to unplug the washer, tip the washer backwards, and remove the 2 screws going into the plastic cover near the back left corner. That will allow you to access the motor and the actuator to the right of the motor. Remove the screws going into the actuator and replace the actuator. Below is a link to the part you'd need to order for your model.

CLICK HERE for part as well as video at bottom of link that shows you how to replace the part.

Now, if you wanted to give it a shot and see if you can pull up an error code, here is the sequence you'll need to go through to display the error code.

1. Be sure the washer is in standby mode (plugged in with all indicators off). (press and hold the start/cancel button for 3 seconds to turn everything off)

2. Perform the following sequence of movement using the cycle selector knob. NOTE: AFTER RESET, sequence “a” through “e” must be completed within 6 seconds.

RESET - Rotate cycle selector knob counterclockwise to clear sequence.

a. Rotate cycle selector knob counter-clockwise one full rotation and the control panel should beep.

b. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

c. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

d. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

e. Rotate cycle selector knob counter-clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

f. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

Now you are in diagnostics. Turn the knob until just the "DONE" LED is illuminated. Push START.

Now turn the dial one click and now the error code is displayed in the form of LEDs along the progress line. Just note which lights appear and let me know and I can tell you what error you're getting. There will be 2 sets of lights that appear and I need both sets to know what error you're getting. Also, below is a video that shows you this process of pulling up error codes in case that helps.

CLICK HERE for video

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Okay....the washer is full of water and wet clothing, so tipping it really isn't an option at this point. I put it in standby mode (plugged in, held start/cancel button for three seconds to turn all indicators off) but when I reset by rotating the knob counter-clockwise then complete step a by rotating it counter-clockwise on full rotation, there is no beep.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

OK well it sounds like your drain pump is clogged or bad if it's full of water still. Unfortunately you'll need to drain the water out manually with a cup and bucket or a wet vac the same as any technic***** *****ke myself would need to do because the pump will need to come off to check for a blockage. If that's not something you can do yourself then you'll want to hire a technician.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What could be preventing me from being able to get the diagnostic code?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

I'm not sure. As I mentioned a lot of people have a lot of difficulty getting into diagnostics mode sometimes. As a technician we have to fiddle with it lots of times sometimes before it finally goes. Diagnostics mode on this model is not always perfect.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The sensing light is off and now just the lid locked light is on. I don't know if that means anything.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I held down the start button for three seconds to unlock the lid and now the lid locked light is off but the spin light is on.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

That doesn't really mean anything in particular. You would either need to be able to pull up the error codes or if you can't pull up the error codes the issue is likely a drain pump issue anyways based on your symptoms so you're going to have to remove the water and remove the drain pump.