Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

We have a ge profile and we lost power the other day 4

Customer Question

We have a ge profile and we lost power the other day for about 4 hours. Tonight our freezer was not working. Threw out all the food. Now we notice the temp keeps gets higher in fridge. We unplugged it and plugged it back in. Any suggestions?
JA: Sometimes appliance issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Appliance Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Appliance Technician should know?
Customer: I think that's it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

So first, do you have a model number so I can better assist you? It should be located on a sticker near the ceiling of the refrigerator section.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

Perfect, thank you. Since the freezer started failing first, pull the refrigerator forward and remove the lower back access panel. Is the fan next to the compressor running? And if you touch the compressor is it warm, blazing hot, or room temperature?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I can't do that without disconnecting the water to the unit.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

Hmm, the water line should have been installed long enough to pull the refrigerator forward if it was installed properly, but it will need to be pulled out to see what the problem is. I can tell you the different possibilities. Either you have a bad inverter board or a bad compressor or the fan next to the compressor has failed and isn't running to cool the compressor down. If you had a bad thermostat or main control board or something like that, the refrigerator would be silent and wouldn't be running or just one section would be warming up and the other would work normally.

To know which one is faulty you need to pull the refrigerator forward and remove the lower back access panel. You'll see the big black round compressor. If the compressor is hot, then you know the compressor is running or overloading which means that the compressor needs to be replaced if the fan next to it is running. If the fan isn't running, then replace the fan. Other than that, if the compressor is room temperature, there is a grey plastic box next to the compressor---that is your compressor inverter board. If the compressor is room temperature and the fan inside the freezer is running, then the inverter board has failed. This is one part you can replace yourself. The compressor is something you'd need a technician for. Below is a link to the inverter.

CLICK HERE for inverter board

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.