Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson,
Experience:  Owner at Scott's Appliance Repair

I have a GE refrigerator Model GFE28HMHCES with a Control

Customer Question

I have a GE refrigerator Model GFE28HMHCES with a Control Style B control panel. The change filter indicator came on about a week ago. The water dispenser worked find during this period. I replaced the filer today. When I tried to dispense water nothing is coming out, and the change filter-dispenser off indicator comes on. I tried the old filter again nothing happened... Is there a reset that needs to be activated, if so where is it located?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 5 months ago.
Hello, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today.As far as the indicator light is concerned that is a timed function that is built into the logic of the control board, rather than a sensor that senses a bad filter. Sometimes the board has to be replaced to fix that issue, but it most cases if you unplug the refrigerator for 5 minutes and plug it back in, and try the reset again it will work. As far as it not dispensing water, you probably just got some air in the line when changing the filter and it needs to be purged just hold down the dispenser arm until water comes out it may take a minute and might spit and spew at first but it will straighten out after a bit. ******************************************************************************* We are on the honor system here. Since I have given you the initial answer please rate/vote by selecting a star at the top of the screen and any follow up questions you may have will be free of charge and of course I will continue to help if needed. Rating me will does not affect what you agreed to pay for the question and will not have any affect on what you have already been billed for unless you request a phone call. Feel free to get back to me with any questions you may have but in the meantime I would appreciate you going ahead and rating the answer as this is the only way I get compensated for my time, thanks! After you have rated/voted the answer you will be sent an email with a link that will allow you to get back to me for any follow up questions free of charge it will not close the question.Please Know: I have nothing to do with your payment to the site and did not receive that money. I am just a technician on the site that is here to help assist you and have nothing to do with billing. NOTE PLEASE READ: When you rate/vote my answer you have to click on the star vote/rate system at the top of your screen. Typing I give you a 5 star rating in a message does absolutely nothing to help me you have to click on the rating system. Thank You! Tips are not expected but are greatly appreciated.