Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson,
Experience:  Owner at Scott's Appliance Repair
89799402

I have a GE Refrigerator PSHF6PG2BEWW. The orange light came

Customer Question

I have a GE Refrigerator PSHF6PG2BEWW. The orange light came on which means I should change the filter, even though it seemed as if I had done that not long ago, I took the filter out and put a new one in--running water through it beforehand. I screwed it in
and the orange light did not go out no matter how many times I held it for 3 seconds. I then noted that I had written the date I had last changed the filter, and it had only been mid April, so obviously it should not have needed to have a filter change. How can I troubleshoot this problem?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today.Hello that light is a timed function rather than a sensor that determines the filter's capacity. The timing is built into the logic of the control board sometimes to correct this problem the board has to be changed.You can try resetting the entire board, unplug the refrigerator for 5 minutes and plug it back in, then if the light is still orange try the reset once more if the light still will not go out then the board will have to be replaced to repair that issue. ******************************************************************************* We are on the honor system here. Since I have given you the initial answer please rate/vote by selecting a star at the top of the screen and any follow up questions you may have will be free of charge and of course I will continue to help if needed. Rating me will does not affect what you agreed to pay for the question and will not have any affect on what you have already been billed for unless you request a phone call. Feel free to get back to me with any questions you may have but in the meantime I would appreciate you going ahead and rating the answer as this is the only way I get compensated for my time, thanks! After you have rated/voted the answer you will be sent an email with a link that will allow you to get back to me for any follow up questions free of charge it will not close the question.Please Know: I have nothing to do with your payment to the site and did not receive that money. I am just a technician on the site that is here to help assist you and have nothing to do with billing. NOTE PLEASE READ: When you rate/vote my answer you have to click on the star vote/rate system at the top of your screen. Typing I give you a 5 star rating in a message does absolutely nothing to help me you have to click on the rating system. Thank You! Tips are not expected but are greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Joel, just an FYI for you, I called a repair place, and the fellow told me to try holding the button longer than 3 seconds-maybe more towards 10--and it went off...
yep but a lot of times if you hold it down to long the light will go off but will come back on, hence the reset by unplugging it first and then holding it down.