Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a Panasonic microwave -inverter genius prestige -

Customer Question

I have a Panasonic microwave -inverter genius prestige - that will not work. I can program in the power and time, push start, and it will run a few seconds and then stop and go back to the time. Is it time to replace, or is there a code to fix this problem.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

There is not a code to fix this issue but I can explain what is occurring. This issue can be caused from several things, but it all means the same thing–the magnetron is not drawing the amount of power needed. You could have a faulty magnetron itself, a faulty inverter board, or one of your door switches can just not be activating correctly. You can’t test the magnetron or the inverter board, so the best thing to do is check the door switches. Unplug the unit and remove the control panel. This will give you access to the door switches to the left of the control panel opening. There should be 3 switches which you can remove and make sure they don’t look burnt. Push on the little actuator buttons and see if the switches still click. If so then reinstall the switches and shut the door to make sure the door is activating all the switches when the door shuts. If so, then it’s time to guess which part you want to replace–either the magnetron or the inverter board. The manufacturer will tell you to replace the inverter board first, but it’s really a toss up.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?