Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Whirlpool Gold fridge/freezer The fridge was cold

Customer Question

I have a Whirlpool Gold fridge/freezer
The fridge was cold as normal and producing ice. The freezer was also cold, however then the fridge became "warm" and the freezer defrosted? This has happened alternatively over the last few days What is the problem?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Does the refrigerator section keep temperature or does the refrigerator warm up as well?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both the fridge, the ice compartment and the bottom freezer all warm up together.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK do all the fans and motors stop running when it's warming up? Is the unit 100% silent? or do you hear it running but it's warming up?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You can hear the fan running when it is warming up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK then unfortunately your compressor is shutting down. That means that your compressor itself is beginning to overheat and needs to be replaced if the fan next to the compressor is running and the coils below the refrigerator are clean, or your overload relay attached to the side of the compressor is getting weak and needs to be replaced. Start by pulling the refrigerator out and remove the lower back panel. The fan next to the compressor should be running and if it's not, replace it. Clean the coils below the refrigerator also. If the issue comes back, then replace the overload relay on the side of the compressor which you can order in the link below. If that doesn't fix the issue, you need a new compressor which is about $650 and not something you can replace yourself. CLICK HERE for overload relay We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok Thank you
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Not a problem but I'm very sorry about the bad news today, I wish it some some sort of quick fix. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?