Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

We have a GE stainless steel refrigerator model

Customer Question

We have a GE stainless steel refrigerator model GNE22GMEBFES, serial VA313975.
Here is the problem: 3-4 months ago, the ice made by the ice maker began to melt in the tray and refreeze to a solid, for the first 15-20 ice cubes it would make. Then subsequent ice cubes would either adhere to the refrozen ice, We'd have to remove the tray and rise it in cold water until the refrozen ice loosened. We had the ice maker replaced twice, but the problem persists. We believe this must be a temperature or cold air flow issue but we do not seem to have a clear solution. The appliance is about 2 and a half years old. We bought it when we re-did our kitchen.
Have you run into this problem with this model GE appliance before? If so, what was the solution.
Thank you.
Michael A. Keane
North Bennington, VT
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.
Good afternoon. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your refrigerator today. Unfortunately the problem is that your refrigerator is staying in defrost slightly too long. This causes the ice to melt just a bit and then re-freeze. There is a "thermistor" sensor which controls the defrost cycle and when it should kick out. It sounds like it has gotten out of range and needs to be replaced. This sensor is mounted behind the back wall inside the freezer. You'll need to pull everything out of the freezer and remove the back panel inside the freezer. Clipped onto the top of the silver evaporator coils is a white plastic bullet with 2 small wires going to it. You'll need to order and replace the thermistor to resolve the issue. Below is a link to the part. This sensor can be used in several places on the refrigerator/freezer so be sure the one you replace is the one mounted to the top of the silver coils. CLICK HERE for defrost thermistor We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?