Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.

The water line on my Sub Zero 601F is dripping under the

Customer Question

The water line on my Sub Zero 601F is dripping under the unit. It seems to be blocked (either frozen or mineral build up), but the unit is built in so I can't see behind it. Is there some sort of a heating element that keeps the steel tube that feeds the Ice maker from getting solid?
JA: Sometimes appliance issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Appliance Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Appliance Technician should be aware of?
Customer: It only leaks when it calls for water, creating a slow drip that moves down the tube back under the unit
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 5 months ago.
Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly I am not paid anything until you rate my service good using the STAR RATING LINK at the top of your page, the money is paid to the site not me directly. Is it leaking under the unit onto the floor?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
OK then either the pan is cracked or the drain line may be cracked can you see under the unit at all?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Are you there?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I can see under the unit. The drain pan is on the left and seems fine. The line is on the right and goes behind the unit, which is built in. The water
Seems to be traveling back down the tube to the lowest point
Ok then your line is either cracked higher or leaking where it connects to the drain trough below the evaporator in the unit, can you get to that and check it?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It's hard, as it is a built in unit. Should I try from inside the freezer?
but likely it would be inside the refrigerator section
Unless you have a freezer only unit
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This is a 601f, so is a stand alone freezer unit
then get into the freezer and get to the evaporator and drain line the lines often crack and then it will leak every time it defrosts
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is the evaporator the steel tube that fills the ice maker? The leak occurs when the unit calls for water - it doesn't fill the unit and simply drips underneath. I have defrosted the unit completely twice
No that is just the fill tube for the icemaker, if it is leaking from there there is a line that comes from below where the water valve is, it could leak there as well.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't know if it's leaking from there - it appears to be leaking from behind and outside the freezer box, as there is no ice build up inside. Does the unit need to be pulled away from the built in?
It would be best to pull it away from the cabinet if you can it would be much easier to find the leak that way.