Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Kenmore Elite Dryer HE5 Steam MOD 110.87721701 Squeaky I've

Customer Question

Kenmore Elite Dryer HE5 Steam
MOD 110.87721701
I've opened it up and narrowed it down to a plastic tensioning wheel for the belt. I can see the wheel stop moving when the squeaky sound occurs. It looks like the belt touches the wheel on outside of the belt ( not the underside that contacts the drum).
Should I try automotive belt dressing or will it most likely need the belt replaced? Should I just try the belt dressing or will it mess it up (which might mess up the surface area of the drum) or is automotive dressing the wrong stuff and is a hazzard? If the belt is to be replaced, I'm leaning toward calling a repair person. Can't image a new plastic wheel would solve the problem; don't think tensioning spring either?
Thank you
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.
I wouldn't try the belt dressing. Look at the belt and see if it looks damaged. If not, then your idler pulley is just bad. That pulley wheel fails all the time because the bearing sticks on it. If you're handy you can definitely try to replace it yourself. Below is a link to the wheel you need to replace and there is a video at the bottom of the link on the left (The HE3 dryer) that shows you how to replace the pulley. It takes me about 20 minutes so if you're handy you can do this yourself. Below is a link to the part and video. CLICK HERE for pulley and video We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.