Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Ice maker sensor arm stuck in up (off) position. does not

Customer Question

Ice maker sensor arm stuck in up (off) position. does not allow for manually pushing down. side by side model. ice maker retest does show that ice tray will rotate.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.

If the arm won't go down, then unfortunately the icemaker just needs to be replaced. Samsung doesn't make parts inside the head of the icemaker to be replaced separately and it's all sealed up so water doesn't leak into it and short out, but you also can't work on it when it fails like in this case. The icemaker will just need to be replaced.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the light is also funky on the front of the freezer. it has a dim light suggesting ice is off. but when I hold down for the 3 seconds to intentionally shut off, it shows a bright light showing it is off. when i press to pick ice type, going from crushed to cube, the cube light doesn't go down at all. it seems like something not working w the settings.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.

The settings have nothing to do with this issue. That is just how the display works and they don't control the arm on the icemaker whatsoever. The arm is just a mechanical part and not controlled by anything other than mechanical gears inside the icemaker when the icemaker rotates. You just need a new icemaker.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Tyler, I gave it some time -- the ice maker does make about 2 cups of ice over the course of the day. do you still think the whole thing needs replacing? the Sears guy is coming Thursday and the visit alone is $95. I appreciate your continued help. Marlene
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.

I would check the temperature and make sure the temperature around the icemaker is below 10ºF. If so, then your icemaker is just bad and needs to be replaced. That would be the only reason the icemaker would make ice very slowly if the temperature was correct. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.