Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

My Whirlpool dishwasher isn't working correctly.

Customer Question

My Whirlpool dishwasher isn't working correctly. It's not draining and it smells terrible inside. I've cleaned the basket many times, there was an obstruction in the drain hose that I took care of. All the hoses have been cleaned out thoroughly, there are no kinks. I've also cleaned the trap and replaced the impeller but it's still not draining on its own, it will drain eventually if I press the drain button. Any thoughts?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.
Do you have a full model number so I can better assist you and see what might cause this issue?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.
Perfect thank you. So if the dishwasher doesn't drain out completely the first time you run it through a drain but it will if you press the drain pump (which is a longer drain than the standard in cycle drain), then it sounds like you have a partial restriction causing the water to drain slower than it should. Double check and make sure the drain hose under your sink isn't clogged if it connects to a garbage disposal or has a candy cane attachment which goes into a stand pipe. If that checks good, I would replace the drain hose directly off the drain pump. There is a backflow preventer located just past the 90 degree elbow and this can start to restrict the water flow so below is a link to the part. CLICK HERE for drain hose We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok I'll try to get it replaced today and I'll let you know how it goes. I'm no sure how it could still be obstructed but I'll give it a shot
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.
alright good luck.