Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have I barely three-year-old Kenmore refrigerator with the

Customer Question

I have I barely three-year-old Kenmore refrigerator with the freezer down below and the French doors above. I am getting that code on my ice disposal section of either 500 or Sy and EF. The bot***** *****ne is it makes this constant buzzing and sometimes no buzzing but the problem is the refrigerator is no longer cold. Now the freezer appears to work fine but lately it is not ass cold as previous hands the food there is gradually becoming softer. Please help. I don't know what to do. This is very frustrating because the refrigerator is fairly new and was very expensive. I'm beginning to suspect what my good friend at work tells me. Mainly that all current appliances are deliberately made with cheap parts that manufacturers no will give out within 2 to 5 years. Hence the reason why when you purchase an appliance such as this they will always push very hard for you to purchase extended warranties at a highf high cost
JA: Sometimes appliance issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Appliance Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Appliance Technician should know?
Customer: Please excuse some of the typos. I am using my voice activation. Sometimes it works very effectively sometimes not
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I’ll be helping you today. I’m am one of the experts here on I have been factory trained and one of the best appliance technicians in the industry. We are on the honor system and we only receive credit for or time helping you if you rate our service so please do not forget to rate before you leave or experts like myself won’t be around to help in the future since we must make a living helping you by passing on our knowledge and giving our time. Give me a few minutes to review your appliance issue and write an answer for you.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.
to start, I want to address your concerns about the manufacture creating products that last only 3-5 years. I wouldn't say that is correct, most last longer. But they don't design them to last 20 years anymore. That is just bad business for them they've all determined. In fact Maytag used to build units that lasted but they almost went bankrupt before Whirlpool bought them out. I would say units aren't designed to last 3-5 years, but they aren't designed to last 12 years either... somewhere in between but of course some fail ahead of time.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.
As for your problem, error SY EF means that your evaporator fan motor inside your refrigerator isn't spinning properly. This fan is located behind the back panel inside the freezer so you'd have to pull everything out and remove the back panel to inspect the fan motor so you can see if the fan is rubbing on frost/ice for some reason. If so, use a hair dryer to thaw it out. Other than that, unplug the refrigerator for 5 minutes and see if the issue resets. If not or the issue comes back, replace the evaporator fan motor. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?