Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

To install a window air conditioner in a threw the wall

Customer Question

To install a window air conditioner in a threw the wall sleave how much clearance do you need on the sides for it to vent properly.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.
You need 5" of clearance on the sleeve to the floor, and you need 1 1/2" clearance on the sides. These are the minimum clearances needed to install a wall sleeve air conditioner for Frigidaire. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

my question is installing a window air conditioner into a sleave because sleave air conditioners are very expensive. How much side clearance is necessary.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.
The sleeves are specific to the air conditioner itself. So if you're going to install a window air conditioner and make your own sleeve, you'll just want to make sure you have about an 2 inches of clearance all the way around so it doesn't restrict the air flow. You can go bigger if you wanted... there is no harm in that. But I wouldn't make a sleeve less than 2 inches of space all the way around or it'll restrict the air flow.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?