John, restaurant equipment technician
Experience:  25+ years experience. I'm now employed by a commercial cooking equipment service company

We have a R890N Carousel Convection Microwave. As I put in

Customer Question

We have a R890N Carousel Convection Microwave. As I put in vegetables to cook for dinner my hand knocked the door and dislodged what looks like a door latch. Small black plastic piece. Now we can't open the door. We've switched off the microwave wave as for some reason when the door shut the turntable started even though no setting had been selected.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 5 months ago.
You will need to remove the U shaped oven cover, in order to see the latch mechanism, and to get the door open. Please let me know what you find. Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sorry for delay but think we are in different time zones. Removed u shape cover. What now ?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We referred to a previous query with an identical problem and tried to find out how to lift up the control panel on the RHS of the MW. However there is no obvious means of attachment. We removed 4 screws from around the control panel but this didn't help. We have now replaced the screws.
Expert:  John replied 5 months ago.
I think one of the latch hooks on the door assembly has broken off. I suggested you remove the cover, so you could lift the latch assembly from the inside by lifting up on the latch hook to release the door. Incidentally, I'm located in Florida.When you get the door open, if you find the latch hook assembly damaged, it will need to be replaced. The part number is *****(white) or 769484(black). Its price is $8.70. You can purchase it at, where they also offer instruction videos, if needed.Using the expert's rating scale, found at the top of your screen, please click the star that expresses your satisfaction with my answer. I'm not paid, until you rate my service to you. Thank you for choosing JustAnswer.
Expert:  John replied 5 months ago.
Do you need more help, before your request times out?