John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

Have a whirlpool model EEV203n upright freezer. Replaced

Customer Question

Have a whirlpool model EEV203n upright freezer. Replaced Timer, Thermostat and defrost bi-metal thermocouple. The freezer freezes for about 24 hours and then defrosts but never goes back to freezing. Tempeture go's up to 80. Turn off for a couple hours and then goes thru the same cycle.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  bonzaco replied 6 months ago.

Can you give me th part number of the defrost timer you have fitted please

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The new timer is part# ***** It didn't make a difference so place original timer in freezer.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Replaced Thermocouple and Thermostat kit with Easy Appliance Parts 371244 and 733842.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 6 months ago.

OK are you happy to do a couple of tests for me, I will need you to access the evaporator and also have access to the defrost timer?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok am on computer and will have to remove back panel.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 6 months ago.

OK no hurry

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok rembed panel.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Removed panel, love spellcheck.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 6 months ago.

OK can you get at the front of the defrost timer ?

Expert:  bonzaco replied 6 months ago.

I need you to manually turn the defrost timer using the main shaft nut

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 6 months ago.

OK I dont wish to teach you how to suck eggs but do you understand the principle of the defrost timer?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it turns off compressor and turns on defrost heater
Expert:  bonzaco replied 6 months ago.

OK excellent, to expand it abit, the compressor comes on (its operation being controlled by the thermostat or whatever electronic device is measuring the temperature) at the same time power is supplied to the defrost timers clock motor. After a period of compressor run time (note not time but compressor run time) the switches on the defrost timer switch off the compressor and switch on a heater in the evaportator. There follows a period, usually 20 sometimes 30 minutes of heater operation. There is however what is known as a defrost termination stat that can terminate the heater and switch back on the compressor. So can I assume that the compressor is running and you have a cold evaporator, if not can you switch the freezer on and let if run for afew mins.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Will turn on thermostat as compressor was running and freezer was cold.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 6 months ago.

OK without electrocuting yourself can you turn the defrost timer knob (lets call it that) click by click and tell me if the compressor goes off and the heater comes on - not the timer will only turn in one direction !!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Turned on thermostat as compressor was running and was cold
Expert:  bonzaco replied 6 months ago.

Thats fine just keep the thermostat turned to to max cold for the time being

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Turned defrost timer to shut off compressor and turned back on now compressor is running itermitently.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 6 months ago.

OK turn it slowly again and when the compressor goes off check that the heater has come on? Leave the compressor off for th the time being. Have you got a multimeter?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
compressor and fan off.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 6 months ago.

Heater on? Multimeter?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
120 volts to heater but no warm. Not grounded?
Expert:  bonzaco replied 6 months ago.

Are you on volts ac and checking across each ends of the heater ie you have two wires going to the heater and you have 120 volts across the connectors?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is heater black with plug into thermocouple and runs under condensor to opposite side? Have 120 volts across that.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Compressor back on. Had 120 volts at each end of heater and still have 120 volts at each end.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 6 months ago.

See the attached diagram - http://www.partselect.com/Models/EEV203NW0/Sections/UNIT/?ModelID=607035&ModelNum=EEV203NW0&mfgModelNum=&ManufactureID=&Selected=FYMZ1YR0&Position=9&mfg=Whirlpool&Type=Washer&Mark=9 -- items 43 defrost heater, item 27 defrost drain heater and item 37 defrost termination stat.--

if the compressor is back on the heaters should have gone off. Can you with power off check the defrost thermination thermostat - and tell me if you have got continuity through it at room temperature?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Have continuity thru thermostat. Defrost termination stat along right side of box.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 6 months ago.

If you have a look on the side of the defrost termination stat you should have a couple of number starting with L which may be something like L70 22F or something close to it.

Expert:  bonzaco replied 6 months ago.

Defrost termination stat should be clipped to the top of the evaporator?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
L70-58f
Expert:  bonzaco replied 6 months ago.

OK disconnect it - get yourself a glass of water with afew ice cubes in it and do a test for me - come back to me when your good to go.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ready
Expert:  bonzaco replied 6 months ago.

Has your multimeter got a beeper?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No
Expert:  bonzaco replied 6 months ago.

OK with the multimeter on ohms what reading do you get with the probes apart?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Zero
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Open no reading
Expert:  bonzaco replied 6 months ago.

ok if you put one probe on each wire of the defrost stat at room temperature you should also get zero?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no reading open.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 6 months ago.

OK put the metal can end in the iced water, you should hear it click and then you should get a reading ?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No continuity in ice water for new or old unit.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Put in another freezer as might need to be colder then 32.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 6 months ago.

OK well the way that a L70 58F works is that at 70f it is open circuit heater go off and at 58f it has continuity compressor comes back on. We seem to have found your problem - without the closed circuit the compressor wont come back on. So all you end up doing he cooking everything as the defrost period doesnt get terminated.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Got continuity on both when put in freezer.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 6 months ago.

OK I have to head off to pick my daughter up. In the meantime, join the two defrost cables together if you can (ie leave the defrost stats out and just joint the cables together and let the freezer run without them. I will come back to you in afew hours and hopefully the freezer will still be freezing and op0erating on the defrost timer. But put the new defrost timer in place of the old one.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok will put the new one back on. Old defrost stat was L50-30f not L70-58f. Have a good evening with you family.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 6 months ago.

OK when you are good to go com back to me and we can continue

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry to be so late responding. Am retired and sleep in. Reinstalled new timer last night and Temp. was 100 deg. this morning and was in defrost cycle, no compressor or fan. Replaced wire to timer motor from red lead to black lead which is 120 Volt. Compressor and fan running and temp. is down to 25 deg. Turned shaft up to short of defrost cycle and waiting.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 6 months ago.

OK I'm in and out at the moment but I am somewhat concerned that the supplied defrost stat has a 28 degree diference to th original and we may have to reinstate that and perhaps even remove it from the circuit to see if that works. The issue is that the defrost action does not stop after the cycle is completed - Can you give me an idea of how long the defrost timer stays on heater on? I have had these replacement timers where the connection to the compressor and the heater have been incorrectly wired with heater on for longer than compressor.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Just went to defrost and looks like about 30 minutes. Have to go to meeting so can continue later.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 6 months ago.

yes that OK - if you miss me tonight Im at work tomorrow too so just drop in.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks will be free tomorrow.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Freezer ran all night and is 0 deg. Had shorted out defrost stat and wired timer for continual run. Do I need to replace defrost stat with L30-50F one or just leave jumper wire in?
Expert:  bonzaco replied 6 months ago.

Can you just check for something if you would, if you bypass the defrost stat and switch on does the evaportator fan come on immediately?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Finally back at it. Fan stays on except during defrost cycle with or without jumper cable. Comes on right away. Checked with whirlpool and have latest replacement defrost stat and temp. control.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Checked original defrost stat and made contact at 20 deg. and opened at 58 deg. Reinstalling it. Could the Starting capacitor on compressor be acting up intermittently.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 6 months ago.

No I dont think so, the fact that the compressor is able to get the temperature down to where we want it means that it at least is working, its a control problem - have Whirlpool advised what temperatures their replacement defrost stat works at?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
They said it is L70-12F. the freezer seems to work thru 2 or 3 cycles of defrost before not getting out of the defrost mode. The defrost is eight hours after the defrost stat closes. Started with old defrost stat yesterday around 5PM and is still working today at 1:30PM. Will see how long it runs now. You must be working second shift as your answers show 4:30AM eastern time.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 6 months ago.

OK we are back to what we started with - I still think it is the defrost termination stat so once you get the new one in we can be sure. Sorry the hours are all over the place, I work for Whirlpool but Im based in the UK at the moment so you are usually between 5 and 8 hours behind me. Ships passing in the night so to speak. We link in if we are both around my afternoon evening and your morning.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Unit is working now. Used old defrost stat and new timer and temp control. Going thru normal defrost cycle. Thanks for your help.