Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a W10469286 ice maker that is not making ice. When I

Customer Question

I have a W10469286 ice maker that is not making ice. When I disassembled the ice maker the main gear fell off the end of the shaft. I assumed that the gear would only go on in the correct orientation, but I was wrong. It can be reinstalled in a number of positions. How do I know the correct alignment?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.
OK so if the main gear fell off, it means that the shaft prong for the rake (the part that pushes the ice out in the mold of the icemaker---white fingers) has likely broken so the gear won't stay on unless you try to glue it or something like that. Either way, there is a line on the gear and if the fingers are pointing straight up, the line on the gear should be pointed to the bottom right where the white screw is located on the picture in the diagram below. Attached is a picture I drew for you so if you put the gear back on, make sure the fingers are pointed up, then turn the gear so that the 2 red arrows line up and the black dash on the gear is in line with the white plastic screw. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** diagram you sent shows a different main gear than I have in the ice maker. On this ice maker there is a cover (held on by a screw). Removing the cover, you see a solid plastic box with test terminals, but no gear. So it is like the one in your picture without a gear. To access the gear you have to remove the three screws and take this plate off. On the inside of the plate are the contacts. The gear is now exposed on the end of the shaft and just slides off. This refrig is a little over a year old. Could it be a newer model? I got the model number off the ice maker itself.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I also don't see a fill adjustment screw in this model.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.
The icemaker itself isn't sold in parts, it's not really designed to be taken apart, just assembled. If the internal working of the icemaker are messed up, the icemaker will need to be replaced. And that is part number. Your icemaker doesn't have a fill adjustment screw, it's all automatically sensed.