Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Subzero 550 134a: - Fridge only cools to 55 degrees

Customer Question

subzero 550 134a:
- Fridge only cools to 55 degrees
- compressor running. Ohm readings on compressor: common to start 15 ohms, common to run 4 ohms, start to run 19 ohms.
- suction side reads 10 psi with compressor running; add more 134a and compressor sounds burdened.
- manual states cut in/ cut out for compressor is 40/6 PSIG
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.
unfortunately it sounds like your compressor is just getting inefficient. The suction side should be at 0 psi If your pressure is above 0 psi, either there is too much freon (which couldn't just happen if you tested 10 psi after the refrigerator was working properly) or the freon amount is good but the compressor is just inefficient so it can't create the suction pressure difference like it needs. As for cut in and cut out on the compressor, there actually is no cut in or cut out. If there isn't enough pressure or there is too much pressure the compressor will keep trying to run unlike a car. The only reason the compressor will shut down is if it overloads from trying too hark and draws 10 amps or whatnot causing the overload relay to trip. Either way, you can try to drop the pressure on the suction side to 0psi, but if it won't cool right at that pressure, then you have an inefficient compressor. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?