Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a magic chef refrigerator model number mcbr1020. It

Customer Question

I have a magic chef refrigerator model number mcbr1020. It quit cooling and freezing at the same time the fan is running but freezer and frig is not freezing or cooling
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: unplugged the unit for a day and retried same thing no freezing on cooling. fan is running
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Appliance Technician should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.
If the unit isn't cooling in the refrigerator or freezer section but the fans are running, you know the unit isn't in defrost and you know the thermostat is working because the unit is "trying" to cool. Unfortunately that means something is going on with your compressor or sealed system. You'l need to pull the refrigerator out and listen to the compressor down below the unit. If the compressor has a constant low hum, then it sounds like the compressor is definitely getting power. If that humming noise lasts for 15+ minutes then the compressor may actually be running and you might just be low on freon so you'd have to tap into the system and check the freon pressure to determine if you have a freon leak or a bad compressor. Either way, if the compressor isn't running and you replace the overload relay and capacitor, the only thing left would be the compressor itself. Whether or not the windings test good on the compressor doesn't mean the compressor is efficient or that the piston isn't jammed inside. The compressor would need to be replaced to fix these issues. On the other hand, if the compressor is extremely hot and you hear it clicking on and off every couple of minutes, either your compressor is bad or the the overload relay where the wires connect to the side of the compressor is bad and needs to be replaced. I'd start with the overload relay since it's MUCH cheaper than the compressor itself and you can't really test to see if the overload is just weak. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?