Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

The door was left crack open hrs and shut itself off.

Customer Question

The door was left crack open for 4 hrs and shut itself off. We have tried to reset it by turning it off and turning the circuit breaker off and then turning back on. We have also waited a few days to see if it will reach the right temperature but it will only get to 29 degrees. We have tried to hit the colder button to reduce the temperature but it will not hold. Its cold but not cold enough to keep everything frozen.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.
when the door gets left open, the compressor begins to over work and the vents through the back of the freezer and walls and such can start to get clogged up with frost. You'll need to flip the breaker off or shut the entire unit down for 24 hours and leave the doors open so the compressor can cool down and any frost build up in the walls and vents can thaw out. After that you should just need to re-apply power and turn the unit back on and it'll start working again. If it still only gets to 29 degrees at that point, then the compressor over worked itself and may have become inefficient. You'd need a technician to come out and check the sealed system to see if you need a new compressor. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?