Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Ice maker quit working

Customer Question

ice maker quit working
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I’ll be helping you today. I’m am one of the experts here on JustAnswer.com. I have been factory trained and one of the best appliance technicians in the industry. We are on the honor system and we only receive credit for or time helping you if you rate our service so please do not forget to rate before you leave or experts like myself won’t be around to help in the future since we must make a living helping you by passing on our knowledge and giving our time. Give me a few minutes to review your appliance issue and write an answer for you.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.
Usually if the icemaker is affected by replacing the filter, it means that your fill tube behind the icemaker has frozen due to air getting into the system. Now instead of guessing, probably the best thing to do is determine if the icemaker isn't cycling and calling for water, or if water isn't actually making it to the refrigerator. First, make sure the freezer is below 10 degrees because the icemaker will not cycle if the temperature in the freezer is over 10 degrees. Next, fill up the icemaker with a cup of water and wait 24 hours to see if it cycles and dumps the ice. If it doesn't cycle, replace the icemaker because it's just bad. If it cycles but doesn't fill up with water, check the fill tube behind the icemaker and if it's frozen solid, use a hair dryer and thaw it out (it's a tight area I know). You can also make sure it's not frozen by unplugging the refrigerator for 24 hours but that would entail you moving all the food somewhere else of course. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
can get water from door
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.
Understood, but after the water filter, the water goes to a dual valve solenoid which splits the water. One side goes to the icemaker the other goes to the water dispenser. Getting water from the door only tells you that you are getting water from your house, nothing more. It won't tell you if something froze going to the icemaker, if the icemaker failed, or if the solenoid for the icemaker isn't opening because it failed on the valve.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
where is line &solenoid located ?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.
That's behind the back access panel inside the refrigerator section directly in the middle of the back wall inside the refrigerator section.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?