Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.

Scottsman DC33 10 years old, ice is melting faster than machine

Customer Question

Scottsman DC33 10 years old, ice is melting faster than machine can make. Cubes are too small but adjusting cube size did nothing. 6 months ago had technician to come out for diagnostic. Said it needed cleaning, so we paid for cleaning. No fix. Technician came again and "guessed" that it needed a new part which we purchase and paid labor to replace. No fix. Technician came out again and made some adjustments - problem temporary corrected but now is back again. I am not paying for another diagnostic and labor. Help?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else the Appliance Technician should be aware of?
Customer: System seems very warm. If you put your hand inside you can feel the heat. Also, cubes are hollow
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks! It sounds like the timer that monitors the harvest time may be out of adjustment. Do you know if this has ever been adjusted?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I do not know what adjustments the technician made on the last visit. I tried reading the manual. I am very good at reading and understanding manuals and I do a lot of DIY stuff, but the parts are unfamiliar to me and the pictures in the manual did not show enough for me to understand how to adjust the timer. I looked for videos online but could not find any. If I could see a demo I could probably fix it. To call a technician is a weeks wait and $90 diagnostic fee which last time resulted in 3 more trips by the technician when his previous trips did not work - so $300 later still not working properly.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I did try adjusting the cube size by turning the adjuster clockwise 1/4 turn. Cubes appeared smaller and ice level is going down in bin.
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.
The picture attached shows how to adjust the timer. Is this the picture you have seen? Also, is the unit clean and not all white and corroded at the water chute and in the molds?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yes the pictures is exactly what I have. The technician replaced the curtain, the unit was cleaned twice by using the descaler. Where is the water chute and molds so that I can look to see if they are corroded and molded?
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.
I am not sure I will be the best one to finish helping on this issue. I will place the question back to the list for others to see. Another will reply if they feel they can help.
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 5 months ago.
Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly I am not paid anything until you rate my service good using the STAR RATING LINK at the top of your page, the money is paid to the site not me directly. So what you are saying is the evaporator is not freezing solid as the water runs over it correct?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have no clue what you are asking. I don't know what the evaporator is or where it is. Did you read the description of my issue?
Yes when you say it is melting the cubes faster are you saying it makes cubes fine and then they are ,melting in the bin?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The cubes are hollow
OK that would be a sign of either too little water or a thickness issue, do you hear the pump cavitating when running after a while?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Wow - no one told me to remove the kick plate to see if the condenser needed cleaning - I have been vacuuming the front of the kick plate but the inside was completely covered in dust. We will see if this works ūüėú
Yes if the condenser is blocked the unit will not cool properly at all how blocked was it?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Looked like the dryer vent in a clothes dryer. I cleaned it throughly and it has already made one batch of ice and cubes are prrfect
Yes the tech should have checked that first, any tech working on that should have done that right away. If you need anything else let me know. All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am paid anything through the are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Well I appreciate your attempt but no one on this site actually assisted in the solution.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
However I will leave a rating