Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I'm looking at this question someone posted about the ge tfx27fh

Customer Question

I'm looking at this question someone posted about the ge tfx27fh refrigerator. I'm having a similar issue
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: The freezer portion is working just fine, but the fridge isn't getting cold. The previous question had the guy ask to check condenser coils in the freezer. I'm looking at mine now and they look pretty frosted over
JA: Sometimes appliance issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Appliance Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Appliance Technician should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I’ll be helping you today. I’m am one of the experts here on and this is not a free service just so you understand. I have been factory trained and one of the best appliance technicians in the industry. We are on the honor system and we only receive credit for or time helping you if you rate our service so please do not forget to rate before you leave or experts like myself won’t be around to help in the future since we must make a living helping you by passing on our knowledge and giving our time. Give me a few minutes to review your appliance issue and write an answer for you.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.
So it sounds like you've already done a bit of investigating which is great because it tells me what is going on with your refrigerator. If you remove the lower back panel inside your freezer and the coils are packed with frost, then you need to make sure the fan above the coils is running to circulate air---if not then replace the fan. If the fan is definitely running then you have a defrost issue. Typically on this model, your defrost heaters just fail and need to be replaced. The defrost heaters are nothing more than long tubular glass light bulbs which metal around them to protect them. But just like a light bulb, they tend to fail and stop working over time. Below is a link to the heater assembly for your model. CLICK HERE for defrost heater kit Now there is a defrost thermostat which is clipped onto the top of the coils. It's a 1" round device with 2 wires going to it. If you had a multimeter you could unplug this part and test continuity through it to make sure it has continuity. If not then it would need to be replaced, but if it does have continuity, then that confirms your heaters need to be replaced. In the mean time, just use a hair dryer and thaw all the ice/frost out and the unit will start working again for about 1-2 weeks until the frost builds up again. That will give you time to order the faulty part and replace it. Again, we are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?