Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

I have a GE Profile French door refrigerator that has had a

Customer Question

I have a GE Profile French door refrigerator that has had a hum for some time, in the past week it seems to be louder almost a whistle. The refrigerator section does not appear to be cooling. When checked today it was at 54 degrees but the thermostat is set a 39.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks! Can you hear a fan running in the freezer section? Can you see any frost on the back wall inside the freezer? May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Model # ***** I did hear the buzzing sound much louder inside the fresh food section. When I notice this about 1 hour ago, I pulled out refrigerator and unplugged then replugged. At that point the readout said temp was 53 in fresh food section and 0 in freezer. When I just went in to check about your questions I see the temperature is now at 42 and the noise has stopped. So it appears to be working fine right now. This happened two days ago and I thought I may have mistakenly left the door opened slightly and not noticed but I can't believe I would do that twice. I didn't notice any unusual fan sounds from the freezer and there is no frost on the back wall.
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.
If you are certain the noise was coming from the fresh food section, it is likely the damper that opens and closes to allow the cold air from the freezer to enter the refrigerator. They have had issues and can make a grinding type noise when the motor begins to fail. The auto damper assembly is number 251 in the diagram at the link below. CLICK HERE I suspect that damper assembly will need to be replaced. The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY! CLICK HERE Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help! Please remember to rate before you leave, using the stars at the top of the page. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is this a part that a DIY'er could do, I never done any appliance repairs.
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.
On that model, it is not real easy. I can get you directions if you think you would like to attempt it but there is a lot of plastic and styrofoam that can easily be broken.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Any idea what an estimated cost would be to have repairman?
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.
I attached the pages from the manual for you to review. It may not be too bad, you can decide. An average service call runs about $150.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Kelly, I'm still keeping an eye on refrigerator and I've noticed that the loud noise from last night has still not returned but the refrigerator does have a regular hum that it's had for many months. If I press on the handle (or center) of the right door (the one with the dispenser and controls, the noise stops. Normal? The inside fresh food temp was set at 39 and records 44. I've lowered the set to 35 to see what will happen.
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.
The vibration is probably the result of the door out of adjustment. If you remove the upper hinge cap, can you loosen the screws and adjust the door just slightly and then tighten the screws? Does the noise come back?
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.
Hello, I see this question is still open and I was just following up to see if you require further assistance.