Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

My oven spark igniter is not working

Customer Question

my oven spark igniter is not working
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

Good afternoon. This model has a very complex system with a DSI board (direct spark ignition board) which reads the gas valve coils and checks the resistance to make sure everything is good with the valve. This board also serves other functions like sends out the actual spark to light all the burners and cuts out the gas if it doesn’t detect the flame has ignited. If the system is working properly the bake and the broil will click three times when you turn the oven on. If you only hear one or two clicks, you have a bad DSI board or a bad gas valve. There are 3 terminals on the gas valve so you need to check the resistance from the top terminal to the middle terminal, and the middle terminal to the bottom terminal. You should get a reading of approximately 210 ohms. If you don’t get a reading within 10% of that number, you need to replace the valve because even though only one coil may be bad, the DSI board will stop all oven function as soon as it detects there is a problem with one of the coils.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The gas valve is working does that make a difference. Cause it is opening.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

That doesn't matter unfortunately. The resistance needs to be correct or the DSI board will shut it down anyways. Most likely it's good but without testing you can't be certain.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
both at 189
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

OK well as long as those are both the same then they are working. Unfortunately that means that your DSI board is just bad or the wire in between the board and the igniter is damaged, those are the only options.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
do they sell a wire kit or can I use regular wire
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

You wouldn't have to buy the entire oven wiring harness. But if you have a well insulated wire that would work as well.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?