Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Water is collecting under pull out drawer section And then

Customer Question

Water is collecting under pull out drawer section
And then freezing into a thick sheet of ice
Have had the ge French door ref/bottom freezer repaired number times for same problem
500 to replace system at inside back of refr
Only 6 years old
Out of warranty and warranty ins 500 for one year and must wait 3 months to submit claim
Last tech said use a hair dryer to melt ice
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.
Good afternoon. I'm not sure why they said this issue would cost $500 to repair, but it really is quite simple. This is a very common issue and it means that your defrost drain line has frozen over and will need to be thawed out. This often times happens for no reason at all and is just random. You will need to remove everything out of your freezer and remove the back panel inside the freezer. Use a hair dryer to thaw all the ice out and locate the drain hole. Pour hot water down the drain hole until it's draining properly again. Once it's draining properly blow compressed air down to make sure it's clear. If you don't have compressed air, use a turkey baster to make sure the drain line is clear and draining properly. Cut a solid copper piece of wire about 6 inches long. Wrap it around the defrost heater a couple times just above the drain hole and extend it 2 inches into the defrost drain hole. That will transfer heat into the drain hole when the defrost heater turns on and will prevent the defrost drain line from freezing over in the future. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks actually I watched the repair tech do just that two times ago
Last time he replaced the whole inside system 487.00
I am not willing to be my own tech
But if balks at the service call for new replacement I might be
I cannot be chipping away ice every three weeks
Last icing event was three weeks ago
Thanks for the response
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.
Without installing a heat probe (copper wire) the issue will keep coming back. If you install a heat probe properly, the issue can't occur because each time the refrigerator goes into defrost it puts heat into the hole so it can't freeze over anymore.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?