John, restaurant equipment technician
Experience:  25+ years experience. I'm now employed by a commercial cooking equipment service company
22250861

I have Kenmore C978-70806-1 refrigerator. The compressor

Customer Question

hello. I have Kenmore C978-70806-1 refrigerator. The compressor and condenser fan run but the refrigerator does not cool. The evaporator fan does not seem to be running. The bottom of the frig compartment is cold and has some ice on it. The freezer is cool but not freezing.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Appliance Technician should know?
Customer: No. That is it in a nut shell
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 6 months ago.
Check the condenser coil fins to see if there's a layer of lint blocking the air flow through the radiator. If there is, vacuum it off with a ShopVac, and give the fridge 1 to 2 hours to stabilize and cool back down. If there's no air blockage, please let me know, so we can consider other solutions.Using the expert's rating scale, found at the top of your screen, please click the star that expresses your satisfaction with my answer. I'm not paid, until you rate my service to you. Thank you for choosing JustAnswer.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks John. I vacuumed the coil yesterday. No change
Expert:  John replied 6 months ago.
If, as you say, the evaporator fan is not running, and if it's not blocked by ice, it needs to replaced. The part number is(###) ###-#### ***** the price is $64.17. You can buy it at www.repairclinic.com. A replacement video is offered on the website.
Expert:  John replied 6 months ago.
Before you replace the evaporator fan, I'd like to know what you mean, when you write that the freezer section is cool, but not freezing. We may have a different problem there. Thank you.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The freezer section seemed cool but not too cold when the unit is running
Expert:  John replied 6 months ago.
OK. Thank you. Try the following test on the freezer door gasket seal. Using a paper money bill, insert it around the door gasket, while closing the door normally. If you find little or no resistance to pulling the bill out anywhere, clean the gasket with soapy water, and check it for damage. If the bill still slides out easily, the door gasket will need to be replaced. The part number is ***** and the price is $91.34.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks John. Looks like the gasket will have to be replaced
Expert:  John replied 6 months ago.
OK. Thank you. If you can't get the evaporator fan to run, replace it too.