Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Maytag electric dryer model MEDX550XW0. Takes a long time

Customer Question

Maytag electric dryer model MEDX550XW0. Takes a long time to dry towels. I've checked the outlet vent and lint filter - not blocked. On HI temp, the internal drum temperature with dry clothes in it gets to 108 deg F. Is this a heating element or perhaps thermostat problem?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.
Good afternoon! My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your dryer today. If the dryer is running but it's not heating, the first thing you want to check is to make sure the dryer is getting 220 volts to the terminal block on the back of the dryer and not just 110 volts. If that checks good, you'll need to remove the lower front access panel to access the heating assembly. Unplug the dryer to start. Next, use a flat head screwdriver or putty knife to slide it into the seem above the lower front panel. There are 2 hidden metal clips inside the seem about 4-5 inches from the sides of your dryer. Pry down on these hidden metal clips and the lower front panel will hinge forward and down. Now you have access to the heating assembly inside the silver rectangular box along the right side of the dryer below the drum. Attached to the left side of the heating canister are 2 small devices. Disconnect the front 2 wires plugging into the element itself and test continuity through the element. If you don't have continuity, then replace the heater. If the heater checks good, test continuity through the 2 small devices and if either device doesn't have continuity, it will need to be replaced because these are your thermal cut outs. You can order new parts in th elink below if needed. CLICK HERE for heating parts We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Both thermostats have continuity. The heater coil has 8 ohms. There is 220vac at the power input terminals. But at high heat for 10 minutes with dry clothes, the inside drum temperature is only 108 deg F?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Seems to be taking a long time to dry towels.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.
Disconnect the vent behind the dryer and run a cycle just to make sure the vent isn't causing a problem. If that doesn't fix anything, then your control board is just bad and would need to be replaced. The part number for the control board is W10317638. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?