Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Kenmore microhood combination model # ***** serial #

Customer Question

Kenmore microhood combination model # ***** serial # ***** stopped heating and started making a loud unusual noise can it be repaired or we better off replacing?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.If the microwave still looks and sounds like it's working only much louder, but it's just not heating--that means your magnetron has likely failed. The magnetron is the part that actually creates the microwave to heat the food and it commonly goes bad and rarely gives a warning. The part itself costs about $75 so depending on the condition of the microwave, it may be better to just replace the microwave rather than repair it. Also, it will require you to un-install the entire microwave and remove the outer shell in order to access the magnetron for replacement so if you called a technician out it would be another $150 for trip and labor. Below is a link to the magnetron you'd need to order and replace for your model number. CLICK HERE for magnetron We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
did some searching on line and found an article that said that a bad diode ($5) will make the noise and stop heating what do you think?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.
If the diode is bad, it will either make a bad noise and still heat, or it will not make a noise at all and stop heating. But the diode is not going to be the problem for this issue although if you keep running the microwave, the magnetron does commonly cause the diode to fail.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?