Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore
19941226

Dishwasher KUDP01FLBL6 clean light blinks 7 times. Heating

Customer Question

Dishwasher KUDP01FLBL6 clean light blinks 7 times. Heating element is 13-14 ohms, original thermistor is reading 0 ohms (replaced with new one that reads 36+ K ohms), replaced control board. Still having a problem. Put the old thermistor back in. Runs for 15-20 minutes then stops. Water is hot and pressure is good. A cup in the top rack will fill up with water and it's warm/hot.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 6 months ago.

Hello, this is Dave. Your dishwasher has a door switch in series with the heating element. If it is not closing you won't be heating the water. That switch has a white wire with a violet strip on it. With what you have done that has to be your problem. There is also a safety thermostat down under the tank in series with the heater but that is seldom the problem. Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Which thermistor should I have installed, 0 ohms or 36 k ohms? Will the door switch ohm out to 0 if it has failed? How about the thermostat?

The thermostat will read 0 ohms (continuity) if it is good and the switch should also read continuity when the door is closed. Only replace the thermostat if it reads open. It will have White/red and Orange wires. The switch I mention only controls the heater and nothing else. That is why I think it will be your problem since you checked almost everything else except the thermostat.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Door switch reads 0 ohms, then when the switch actuator is pressed, it's a short. Any way to tell if the switch is bad?

It should read continuity (short) when the door is closed and that would mean it is good. The thermostat should also read a closed circuit (short) if it is good.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thermostat reads continuity. Could the heater element be bad even though it reads 13 ohms? My meter gets a tone for continuity, even though there is a reading displayed.

The heater should be good if it reads 13 ohms. You will need to check the entire circuit including the wires. Did you check the door switch by closing the door or just by pressing the switch?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Pressing the switch. The mechanism seems to be fine, it actuates both switches.

Back to my earlier statement the switch is often the problem. Check it with the door closed to be sure it does close every time. It just needs to be intermittent to be the issue.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Okay. How about the tank thermostat. I'm guessing the sensor needs to have good contact with the underside of the tank. The bracket seems a bit loose.

If it is loose it would stay closed almost all the time. The heater would never shut off from that so it is not the problem.

I need to sign off for the day but will check in tomorrow if you still need help.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Door switch is actuated by the mechanism when the door closes. It is difficult to have the switch break contact once the door is closed, even when jarring it, so I think it's okay. I'm still questioning the heating element. The meter reads continiuity but also reads 13 ohms. All wires I can see look fine. The dishwasher is 11 years old. I replaced a thermal switch in the door around 5 years ago. Let me know if you have any other ideas.

As a tech I would run the dishwasher and see if the heating element ever gets power. It should get 120vac for a whil when it is heating the water and again during the heated dry. If you get power but the heater is not hot you know it is bad. I never saw one with a good ohm reading and still be bad.

Do you have an update or do you still need help?