Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert
13202342

I have a whirlpool gas oven and the light is staying on like

Customer Question

I have a whirlpool gas oven and the light is staying on like the oven isn't shutting all the way. I just self cleaned the oven and it seems as if the lock is jarred or something?
JA: Sometimes appliance issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Appliance Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: The light of the oven is on even when I shut the oven. It seems like lock is blocking oven from shutting all the way
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Appliance Technician should know?
Customer: Can't think of anything
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 6 months ago.
hello , does the oven door open or is it still locked ? did you let it complete the cycle completely ?thx randy
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It opens and shuts, but the light stays on. The cycle finished completely.
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 6 months ago.
will it go into any other functions like bake or broil?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes. It still will bake/broil. The light just isn't turning off.
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 6 months ago.
can you try putting back into self clean ,let it start for a minute and lock ,then cancel the cycle and see if lock moves all the way off
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes the light turns off when it locks and starts self clean, then when it unlocks light turns back on.
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 6 months ago.
do you have a full model number ? does the latch still seem like it doesnt go all the way back?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Now I feel silly. Earlier I had tried flipping oven light on/off earlier and it didn't do anything. Now it's working. Yay!
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 6 months ago.
ok good to hear