Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Theree is a leak from bottom and cannot open freezer. got

Customer Question

theree is a leak from bottom and cannot open freezer. got it open once and cleaned out loads of ice but closed freezer draw and in one hour was stuck again. had trouble with this refrif since i got it and noone could help me.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.
So it depends on where the water is coming from as to what needs to be done to fix the issue. Turn the water off to the refrigerator, again thaw out all the ice and close the door. Leave the water off for at least 2 or 3 days and if the ice doesn't come back, you have a bad electronic water valve overfilling the icemaker causing it to accumulate on the floor. On the other hand, if the ice comes back even with the water turned off to the refrigerator, you have a defrost drain issue. Unfortunately this is not an easy issue to fix on these bottom freezer top refrigerators. You will want to unplug the unit for 24 hours to allow all the ice to thaw out. Once the ice is thawed out, the best way to clean the drain line is from the bottom up because going at it from the inside is really difficult. If you pull the refrigerator forward and remove the bottom access panel and locate the rubber hose which comes down directly from the middle or so of the freezer floor toward the back and use something like a turkey baster to shoot hot water up the hose. Once it's clear and you can blow air through the hose, you're good to go again. Also, if you have the ability to just unplug the refrigerator for 24 hours that'll thaw all the ice out and them you can just blow air up and clear the drain out.Now this drain hose has been re-designed because the material on the hose would break down and the check valve inside won't allow water to flow out so below is a link to the new re-designed hose you'll want to order and replace with instructions. CLICK HERE for drain hose We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i will have to wait till someone comes home i do not understand m y neighbor or son will have look.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.
alright, good luck to you!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
what is total price here 28.00. i have very little funds thats why i couldnt haqve someone come in and fix this terrible refrig Maytag should feel ashamed for this refrig .it was a lemon and about 4-5 years old and i will probably dump it
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.
Yes, it appears the total is $28. I would agree that this model tends to have quite a few problems.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
if you know where i can get a cheap refrig not maytag my friends know what problems i had and am living on ss. i called maytag a long time ago and hh gregg and noone helped me everyone said they should have given me another fridge because i paid so much for a lemon. i cant try all tjhose things.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.
That I'm not sure about, but Craig's List often has very good deals on used refrigerators if you can transport them yourself.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.
Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?