Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Maytag washer with noisy spin cycle

Customer Question

maytag washer with noisy spin cycle
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.
Good morning. This model appears to be a front load Neptune washer. Can you tell me what the noise sounds like? Is it like a jet engine roar? Or a clunking? Or etc...
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
clunking
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.
OK so you'll want to pull the washer forward and remove the back access panel. Check the shocks below the tub and make sure none of them are broken. Look at the springs above the tub as well and make sure they are not broken. If all that checks good, you have a bad inner basket support (also called the spider). This is the part that extends from the back of the inner stainless steel basket to attach the main drive shaft to the basket. It has 3 arms and sometimes a bolt from one of the arms breaks so then the spider is just held on by 2 arms and it will clunk one time per revolution as the tub starts to spinner faster. It's quite difficult to replace because you must remove the entire tub assembly, split the tub apart, and remove the inner basket just to access the part. The part costs about $150 but if you need a technician to replace it, they will charge another $250-300 for trip and labor. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?