John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

My Bosch SHU43C02UC43 Dishwasher leaks. Water drips off the

Customer Question

My Bosch SHU43C02UC43 Dishwasher leaks. Water drips off the bottom of the door. I saw some visible damage to the door gasket, so thought that might be the problem. Just received Bosch part #00494772 and installed it, tried the rinse cycle and it seems to leak more. No visible cracks in sprayer arms, no visible warping in door.
JA: Sometimes appliance issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Appliance Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Appliance Technician should be aware of?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  bonzaco replied 9 months ago.
OK would you kindly try this for me first - place the spray bars front to back and then set it off on a program - when it has been running for a couple of minutes open the door and tell me if the bars are spinning?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
When you say place the spray bars front to back, do you mean rotate them so that they make a line from the front of the DW to the back of it?
Expert:  bonzaco replied 9 months ago.
Yes that is correct. One end of the spray bar in the centre of the door frame and the other end at the centre back - do that with both top and bottom spray bars.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The bars do spin, yes.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 9 months ago.
OK what I am trying to establish so we're singing off the same songsheet is what is causing the problem, the most common problem is that the spray bars jam diagonally across the wash cavity which means high pressure water hits the corners and passes the door wipers. second thing is that the washer is tilted slightly forward and the water overflows the inner cavity metal lip - now finally if the leak is now worse then you have pretty well located the fault - have you fitted the bottom seal correctly?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It does not seem like the spray bars are jamming diagonally or otherwise, though they were not turning fast when I opened it.It's possible that the washer is tilted slightly forward: it looked like the water was deeper at the front than the back when I opened the door during the cycle. I haven't changed the tilt since I bought it in 2007, and it has generally not leaked (there was one brief episode a few years ago that seemed to be related to biofilm buildup around the gasket) until just recently, so if it is tilted forward, the other leak-avoidance systems were working better before than they are now.I have done nothing to the bottom seal. Only changed the door gasket.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The other thing is that the replacement door gasket is shorter than the original. The original bent 90 degrees at the bottom of the door opening and extended about 1.5 inches along the bottom of the tub. The new one barely (<0.25 inches) extends past the end of the vertical channel.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 9 months ago.
Can you give me the part number of the seal supplied please?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Yes, it is Bosch's #00494772.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 9 months ago.
According to the Bosch website the part your require is - http://www.bosch-home.co.uk/store/product/Sealdoor/00432490 -- not the one you have listed above?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The 00494772 is the door gasket that I replaced. The 00432490 is the bottom seal which I have not replaced. Do you advise that I get that part and replace it as the most likely cause of the leak at this point?
Expert:  bonzaco replied 9 months ago.
Sorry I misunderstood the question, I assumed that you had replaced the bottom seal as that was where the leak was. Yes Iwould replace the bottom seal too.