Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

My washer had t be mved when the new dryer was installed. They

Customer Question

My washer had t be mved when the new dryer was installed. They put the washer back and now neither the basket nor the agitator move. Everything else works fine.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks! Does it fill with water? The model tag is behind the door if a front loading machine or under the lid if top loading. May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The model # ***** ***** It does fill and it does drain. The lid lock is also not working now, that is how I know the basket and agitator do not move, although the motor makes it sound like it is moving.
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.
So, after it fills, you can hear the motor running, the lid is unlocked, but there is no agitation or spinning?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.
That is odd because the motor should not run if the lid is not locked. Are you sure the noise you hear is not the drain pump?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The noise is the motor, very rythmic. The drain pump noise is later.
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.
If you are sure th3e motor is running, I would look at the large pulley at the bottom for a loose bolt right in the center. If it is tight, the actuator is probably out of position or broken. Can you have a look and let me know what you see?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How do I access this pulley?
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.
The easiest way is to just tip it back and prop it up. The pulley is number 13 and the actuator number 16 at the link below. Of course, check that the belt is on. CLICK HERE
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't know if I can manage that.
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.
I understand, it is quite heavy. 1-***-***-**** is Whirlpool customer service, they can get a tech out to you. Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help! Please remember to rate before you leave, using the stars at the top of the page. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!