Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Does the unit need to be plugged in order to check the

Customer Question

does the unit need to be plugged in order to check the continuity of either the heat
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.
I'm not sure exactly what you're checking but if you're checking any continuity you never want the refrigerator plugged in. If you wanted to send me your model number and needed to know how to test something in particular just let me know. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I communicated with you yesterday about a Maytag refrigerator not cooling properly. The Model # ***** I am not sure exactly what the heater is. You said it runs along he bottom of the coils (witch were covered in ice). Is it the black tube that runs from the top of the coils down the side and along the bottom?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.
Yes, that is the heater. To test continuity just unplug the refrigerator, disconnect the wires going to the heater, and test resistance between the 2 wires coming from the heater. You should have something between 5 and 50 ohms through the heater.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
its is a 1 and the thermostat is at 0.00 so the heater is the one that's out? My husband said that 0.00 is the perfect continuity is that correct?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.
You should always have some form of resistance even if it 0.01 instead of 0.00. Touch the probe tips together and that should be the same reading you get when you test through the thermostat. If not, then the thermostat is bad. Below is a video that shows you how to test the heater. CLICK HERE for video