Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a KitchenAid Electric Stovetop model 506RSS05 with the

Customer Question

I have a KitchenAid Electric Stovetop model 506RSS05 with the following problem: Comparing two "identical" burner elements set at identical heating positions, the satisfactory one @Mid temp has an ON/OFF cycle time of 4s ON/ 6s OFF while the unsatisfactory one is 2s ON/ 11s OFF. And @Mis-High are 8s ON/5s OFF and 3s ON/7s OFF. Is there an adjustment that I can make to correct the weaker one. I have a BSEE degree and installed the unit myself and fell competent to make any adjustment you could recommend.
I thank you in advance for your assistance.
G. Ford (Retired Field Engineer)
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.
There is no adjustment for the switches unfortunately but you are correct that on the middle temperature setting, the burner should be on 40% of the time so the one that is only staying on for 2 seconds and off for 11 seconds has a problem. The switch below the knob itself is what controls the burner and it has an internal resistor that heats up and opens the contact inside the switch which is what controls the burner to regulate the heat. Just order and replace that burner switch and you should be good to go again. You'll need the correct model number to order the part however. The end of your model looks correct, but the beginning should always start with a "K" for Kitchen Aid. The full model should be located on a sticker below the stove top. Then you can look up the faulty switch that you need to order at Searspartsdirect.com or anywhere else you'd like. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?