Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I'm Larry we have a GE refrigerator were having problems

Customer Question

Hi I'm Larry we have a GE refrigerator were having problems with, it's a GSS20GEWR BB & the serial # ***** ***** It has a burnt electrical smell inside, or even maybe a strong plastic chemical smell, kind of hard to explain, everything see!s to be working ok. Any idea what it could be?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else the Appliance Technician should be aware of?
Customer: I cleaned the lint off the back to see if that would help.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.
The only thing that would give a burning smell inside the unit would be if the lights were staying on when the door was shut (in which case things would be warming up quite a bit typically), or the evaporator fan motor which circulates the air is beginning to fail. I would probably just try to remove the odor since nothing has failed completely and the refrigerator is still running normally so locating a problem at this point may be next to impossible until it gets worse. To remove the odor, remove everything out of the refrigerator and freezer and wipe it down with 50/50 white vinegar and hot water. After that, spray the inside with Fabreeze and wipe it down again to dry it all out. Now plastic holds odors because it's porous so you'll want to put the food back inside the refrigerator and freezer at this point, but you'll also want to put a box of baking soda in the top and bottom of both the refrigerator and freezer. After about a week or two the odor should be all but gone. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and appeared on my screen again. Is there anything else I can help you with?