John, restaurant equipment technician
Experience:  25+ years experience. I'm now employed by a commercial cooking equipment service company

I have the Samsung RS261M Refrigerator. The freezer is not

Customer Question

I have the Samsung RS261M Refrigerator. The freezer is not working as I noticed it stopped producing ice and my food has softened. I tried unplugging it, and letting it sit for 30 seconds and then plugged it back up. All of the lights come on like they should for just a few seconds, and then only the freezer light on the left flashes on the middle setting. I don't think either the fridge or the freezer is working now.
JA: Sometimes appliance issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Appliance Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Appliance Technician should be aware of?
Customer: No, that is the main problem. thank you
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 5 months ago.
Before considering parts problems, inspect the condenser coil radiator and the air fan, to see if there's a layer of dust and lint blocking the air flow through it. If there is, vacuum it off with a ShopVac, and give the fridge a couple of hours to cool back down.If there is no air blockage, please let me know, and we'll discuss other solutions to your problem.Using the expert's rating scale, found at the top of your screen, please click the star that expresses your satisfaction with our discussion. I'm not paid, until you rate my service. Thank you for choosing JustAnswer.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The condenser coil radiator and air fan should be on the back near the bottom correct?
Expert:  John replied 5 months ago.
Yes, that's correct.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Alright, I just checked it and it was relatively clean. I vacuumed it anyway though. Next, should I unscrew the cover and see if the fan is working?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Okay, I unscrewed that and cleaned off the coils and such. The refridgerator is still un-responsive with only the left light for the freezer blinking (not working).
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Okay, I don't think I've gotten anywhere, and now it looks like inevitably all of my food is going to spoil.
Expert:  John replied 5 months ago.
Is the compressor running constantly?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I can't hear it at all. I thought I should be able to hear a sound of some sort, but nothing
Expert:  John replied 5 months ago.
There are two relays in the compressor wiring circuit, which can cause your problem. One is the compressor start relay. Its part number is(###) ###-#### ***** its price is $11.40. The other is the overload relay. Its part number is (###) ###-#### ***** its price is $10.75. You can purchase them at Video replacement instructions are available on the website. Please take a moment to rate my service, when you're ready. I'm not paid, until I receive your rating. Thank you for choosing JustAnswer.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Okay, thank you very much for trying to help! I just wrote down your information. Before I saw your message I had checked the fridge again and it finally started maybe I can get it to work. Perhaps the little amount of dust that was on the coils could have caused it to go into crazy mode? Either way, I'm about done for the night and hopefully the next time I check it it will be working. If not, I have the information you gave me and I'll take it from there.
Expert:  John replied 5 months ago.
OK. Thank you. This discussion will remain active for two more days, if you should need my help.