Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

We've had our dryer a number of years and the starter

Customer Question

Hi. We've had our dryer a number of years and the starter just stopped working. We'd like to see if we can replace the starter. For clarity, when we turn the starter switch, the dryer does not start...)
JA: Sometimes appliance issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Appliance Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Appliance Technician should be aware of?
Customer: no ma'am
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 5 months ago.
Hello, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today. Please provide me with the model number of the dryer, its located on the door frame, just open the dryer door and there will be a tag with the model number and serial number on the door frame, this way I can give you model specific information, from your description of having to turn the start switch it sounds like it will be a GE brand dryer but I will still need the model number, thanks.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We bought it at Sears, but I believe it is a Frigidaire.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Seriously no: XD11303570
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Serial number ... sorry
Yep it is a Frigidaire designed dryer for sure, so before just changing parts you need to actually test some things because it could also be a bad door switch, so if you have a meter first thing you will want to do is test the door switch for continuity, if that checks out then just test the start switch it should have continuity when you turn the switch to the start position, check those out and let me know what you find.
now if you do not have a meter to test with you could just replace both parts they are cheap enough to do that in fact that would be cheaper than buying a digital meter, but its up to you just let me know either way.
Hi there,I was just checking back in with ya I have not heard anything back from you?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sorry I got charged $28 for something I could have looked up in a book I'm done but thank you for at least anymore
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! The start switch is not common to fail. Also, there is no thermal fuse that would prevent the motor from coming on. So, that leaves the door switch and the timer as most likely to be faulty. You will need a meter to perform some testing with to determine with any degree of certainty what has failed, though. Let me know if you would like help testing, should you decide to get a meter.